Sunday, October 12, 2008

Simon

Today was a great day. My brother Paul called and talked to my Mom about Dad's speech. Since his stroke was on the right side it affected his speech greatly. But aparently music is on the left side of the brain. Paul had informed us that when he was younger my Dad and him were driving and the song You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon came on and my Dad informed Paul what a great song it was and that it was a good wholesome song. So in the past week Paul has heard this song twice, on the radio, and it got him thinking about this memory with my Dad. Paul asked us to see if we had it to play for him to see if it would help. Mom knew where the CD's were and we played it for Dad. You should have seen his face light up. He was lying in bed and he just laid his head back, with a sweet grin on his face, and started tapping his toes. He sang to the beat as well as he could. When the song finished he sighed with satisfaction. It was so great to see him feeling such joy. I plan on playing more CD's for him throughout the day. Thank you Paul so much for sharing your promptings with us.

No comments: